Monday, April 1, 2013

We've got it covered

When I was in high school, in the1970's, I carried a 35mm camera with me much of the time.  I saw my friend Michael Mullen's mom last year and she remembered this about me.  It was bulky, heavy,  and ugly, so that was a kind of a commitment.    But it also made me feel like I was part of an elite, a photographer.  I built my own darkroom and bulk-rolled my own black-and-white film to save money.  I wasted no shots.  Henri Cartier-Bresson was my hero -- the ability to capture that perfect moment and the patience to wait for it if needed.  Bracketing was carefully planned and recorded in a small notepad for later reference, especially for night photography, of which I did a lot, despite the wasteful nature of it.  Color film was saved for specific uses or when someone else was paying.

How times have changed.

Cameras are everywhere.  Our world is recorded in full color, from every angle, nearly everywhere we go.  Chris Harvey sent me a link to an app that enables you to walk point to point through Manhattan avoiding the cameras -- not easy I am sure.  I have not tried it yet.       

No comments:

Post a Comment