Friday, December 27, 2013

time zoned

After spending a full work week with my brother I have a different view of work schedule accommodation, and, with that, an adjusted view of family scheduling accommodation.

He gets up at 4 AM to go to work on a morning TV news show in Denver.  He gets home between 2 and 3 usually, then drives his kids around to various activities.  By the time he gets done with that, around 7 pm, his wife is home from her job, just in time to eat dinner with him if things work out, before he goes to bed between 8 and 9 pm.

4 AM is closer to the time I go to sleep, generally.  The people I have always worked with are the night people, the geeks, the ones who stay up late, and the ones who are waiting for them to help fix the problems they were unable to fix or never got around  to fixing during the day.

Now that we constantly work with a global community, questions and solutions come at us at any time of day or night, so it is far more complicated than just expecting the West Coast experts to weigh in after we New Yorkers and other east coat people have given up for the night.

This wreaks havoc on those of us trying to have a life outside of the bubble.

My acupuncturist would tell me that I should go to sleep by 11 and get up by 8.  Sounds great.  My wife says the same thing.  I wish it were so easy...

Sadly, the ever-expanding reach of technology and social media makes it even harder all the time.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment